Monday, September 20, 2010

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake

This cake is a long-time favorite and has become my go-to cake for potlucks and entertaining. As long as I have a can of cherry pie filling in the cupboard, its ON.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake

1 package Devil's Food Cake Mix, preferrably with pudding
1 20 oz. can of cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract (I've used vanilla here in a pinch, and it works, but almond sends it over the edge.)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325. Throw all of the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix on low for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and then beat for 2 mins on medium speed. Pour into a 9x13 pan (prepped with non-stick cooking spray) and then bake for 30-35 mins.

1/3 c butter
1/3 c milk
1 c. sugar
1 c. chocolate chips

When the cake comes out, set in on a wire rack to cool while you make the glaze. Mix the butter, milk and sugar in a medium sauce pan. On medium-low heat stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until the chips are completely melted and the glaze is smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake and let it set.

(If you wanna get fancy, you can try using 2 8-inch round pans. If you do that, I suggest letting the glaze cool a bit before you pour it.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I just realized I have NEVER baked a cake in my life. WHAT?! Can you even be called a woman if you haven't baked a cake? My identity roots have been shaken to the core. Cookies, casseroles, cupcakes... but never a cake?! I think I'm going to have to give this one a try pronto! Thanks for the great recipes. They inspire my cooking fire. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect one to try for your first go... It is relative simple to make but it comes out tasting like you're a culinary genius. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete