Monday, October 3, 2011

The Public Face of New Yorkers

I really enjoyed this article about New Yorkers.

This passage in particular I found dead on:

"One afternoon, I was riding a Brooklyn-bound Q train with my mother, who was visiting from Cape Cod, when our conversation lulled. We each glanced around the subway car at the other passengers, their heads bobbing in unison, the eyes of the man across from us doing a creepy back-and-forth twitch as he watched a train whizzing by in the opposite direction behind us. Some people read, or pushed buttons on their smart phones, but most just stared without expression at the floor or the garish overhead posters for Dr. Zizmor’s cosmetic dermatology. My mother (who is, notably, a psychotherapist) leaned into my shoulder and whispered, “Everyone on this train looks depressed.”


I snorted, whispering back: “No, Mom, they just have their train-faces on.” In a place where we are so rarely alone, we find privacy in public. We all have our masks, behind which we are free to be, yes, depressed, or any other emotional state we may not want to share with 30 fellow passengers."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I loved it. miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you too. It's hard to explain "train face" to anyone who hasn't lived there, but I thought this did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete