Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cooking up a storm

Last week I tried that thing where you cook a whole bunch of food on Sunday and then freeze it and you have healthy, home-cooked meals ready to heat and serve all week... It worked out pretty well actually. I was happy as a squirrell in acorn season to spend Sunday afternoon trying delicious new recipes.

Here's what I tried...

1) Baked Mac N Cheese - This was probably my favorite for the week. The extra sharp cheddar gave it so much flavor and with the whole wheat pasta, a little went a long way. We stretched this out over two or three meals.

2) Roasted Pumpkin Apple Soup - I used butternut squash instead of pumpkin, and I couldn't for the life of my find hazelnut oil... But it was still delicious and felt very fancy. I halved the recipe and it still made a TON. We have had it at at least three meals and we still have several servings left. I recommend it with some warm crusty bread.

3) Squash Tea Bread - For this I used some canned pumpking that I had on hand. We had this for breakfast almost every morning. This isn't the first time I've made this, but it is so good we just keep bringing it back! I like to add half a cup of raisins and half a cup of chopped pecans, I think it livens things up a little.

4) Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes - Husband loved these so much that we made them twice this week. They weren't strictly a make-ahead meal, but they were quick and easy, the whole wheat flour made them more filling than regular pancakes.

5) Chunky Blueberry Sauce - We made this to go on the pancakes the first time and had enough left over for the second time too. I added a tablespoon of sugar the second time.

This week I'm trying Eggplant Chickpea Stew and Chicken Pot Pie, and if we go through that I'll throw in some Peanut Noodles with Shredded Chicken and Vegetables. I bought all the stuff to make them last week, but the first couple recipes lasted us so long that we didn't even get to them.

Do you have any good make ahead recipes that you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment